Sunday, November 20, 2011

Our Last Visit to Chicago/USS 300 Wrap Up


Our final visit to Chicago as a class was to the Chicago History Museum, which I found to be one of the most enjoyable trips of the entire term.  It was interesting to look at the exhibits and know that this all happened in the city we’ve been spending ten weeks studying.  In one room they were able to house artifacts from the Chicago fire, a video discussing almost every neighborhood in Chicago, and old steam train engines and train cars.  It was a lot to take in in such a short amount of time, and I really wish we would’ve had longer to look around.  I really liked the new exhibit “Out in Chicago” about the gay and lesbian population.  The combination of material on display and voices and videos describing it all really allowed you to be able to see and feel the experiences of this population growing in the city we’ve grown to know and love.  The interactive area for children was fun as well.  I’m fairly certain our entire class (full of twenty (plus)-year-olds) had a blast climbing on the interactive exhibits.  I’ll definitely be going back sometime in the near future so that I can see everything the museum had to offer.

This class as a whole has been eye opening and quite an educational experience.  I had made trips to the city before, but only looked at it through a tourist’s set of eyes, shopping on State Street and Michigan Avenue, and visiting Navy Pier.  Now I know of museums I’d never heard of before, how to get to several areas of the city, and can see things as more of a city goer.  If I could take this class for a longer period of time, I probably would, just to get to know even more areas of the city, and to discuss even more topics relating to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment