Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Hull House

This was not my first visit to Hull House, but I feel like since it wasn’t I was able to absorb the information better.  My first visit, which was in December last year for a D-Term class called “Chicago: City of Hope” was a shorter visit, and I paid much more attention to the physical details and aspects to the Hull House.  This time I was able to listen to all the research young wealthy people were able to do while volunteering their time, as well as the other important accomplishments Jane Addams was able to make while in the Hull House (such as getting the trash collectors to actually collect the trash from the area, and replacing the poisoned milk for the children with organic fresh milk).  

One thing that kept reoccurring in my mind while we were touring the house though was some of Koval’s words in chapter 5, “The plan calls for a regional effort to distribute affordable housing and assure equitable educational opportunities,” (2006:58).  These are the plans for 2020 in Chicago, and Jane Addams was trying to do the same thing back in 1889.  That means that in over 200 years, Chicago still hasn’t been able to get its act together when it comes to affordable housing and equal education.  How is it that a system that is fully functional and working doesn’t stay intact?  

Going back to my first visit, I was never aware that the Hull House settlement wasn’t destroyed until the University of Chicago needed to be built in its place.  Although at that point the settlement was nothing like how it was in the early 1900s, it was still there, a historical memory of what once was a working solution for immigrants and poverty stricken Chicago-ans.  I’m very thankful that I was able to go back and retain more information, and more importantly take all of the history in behind the Hull House and the impact that it had.

No comments:

Post a Comment